I remember sitting in school learning about "groupthink" and watching the Challenger space shuttle explode and people stand by and watch as atrocious events unfolded. People fall into "groupthink" which is a second potential negative consequence of group cohesion. According to the Wikipedia definition, it is a type of thought within a deeply cohesive in-group whose members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus without critically testing, analyzing and evaluating ideas. Irving Janis concluded that it was the reason concluded the American Foreign policy committees failed to anticipate Pearl Harbor did so.
When we took our bike safety class, our instructor, Matt reminded us that we must “all think for ourselves” and used the movie “The Life of Brian” as an example, when Brian was mistaken for Jesus and he threw open the window and all the people were waiting for him to teach them something… and he said, “you must all think for yourselves” and they all chanted back in unison “we must all think for ourselves.” When riding, it is important to watch the road yourself and think for yourself because you are the one in control of it. If one person in your group rides across a busy intersection, all the members of the group must stop and assess the situation prior to crossing. It could be disastrous if everyone just blindly followed the leader.
With that being said, I think that I must think for myself in all aspects of my life. I was brought up in an Asian family (obviously) and if you didn’t know, Asian families are typically community families. The good of the family name and the good of the family should be thought of first rather than what is best for the individual. Despite my “American-ness” of seeming more independent, I believe that this mindset has carried over in other parts of my life. It’s not a bad thing, to think of other people before you think of yourself. In fact, it’s what I learned in Sunday school and through church events: in order to have joy you must live with “J.O.Y.” This means putting Jesus first, then others and finally yourself. My favorite book of the Bible is Philippians 2, the verse I constantly remember is ‘Make my joy complete, do nothing out of selfish ambitious or vain conceit and regard others as better than yourself’ – Philippians 2:4.
What is best for a group isn’t always what’s best for me. Sometimes I have to think for myself and put my own well being first. This sounds wrong to me, but I am slowly learning that this is actually more beneficial to others because when I take care of myself and do what’s best for myself, I can better help those around me and be a brighter light for Christ. I feel like this is something I should have learned from various speakers at Westminster Woods telling me that as I “pour and pour out” my love to others, I need to go back to the Word and be refilled by God (which I do). It’s harder to put into practice than it sounds for me, but I think that God has given me the courage to do so.
Press onward and trust in Him. He is my Rock. He is my Guide. He is my Creator. I feel free. A great weight has been lifted off me. I feel like dancing.
- - - run for life
Preach it sister! It's a hard lesson to learn, and a hard thing to do - to balance a life of service with self-care, but they are both important. Even Jesus went off in the wilderness to pray by himself. And he sent out his disciples to do ministry in teams, not needing to do it all himself. God had Moses appoint people to help him too! So, there's precedent. But, still, hard. Keep at it! :) :)
ReplyDelete