So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the WORD of Christ.

Romans 10:17

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

a physical challenge

Wow. I’m sick. I don’t remember the last time I was sick, I think it was perhaps 2008 in Virginia. Other than that, I’ve just had problems with allergies out there. Swallowing hurts and my throat feels like sandpaper. I’m sure my voice sounds terrible, I feel terrible. My stomach hurts too, it feels like throwing up might make me feel better at this point. Perhaps I’ve put my body through a lot of stress this summer… from finishing my master's thesis and master's degree, quitting my job, moving everything I had across the country while running 3 marathons within a month and sleeping on friend’s couches and in guest bedrooms, flying back to Tennessee and then back to California, driving up the California coast back to the bay area, meeting up with friends as much as possible, traveling to Japan, flying back to Tennessee going camping and on to New York. I don’t really have a home right now. I feel like I’m in limbo, this place that I will be living for a year until I’m done in Arizona next August.

Ironic that one of the discussions or ‘lessons’ we had today was about ‘self care.’ Honestly, I put off sleep and things to keep myself happy and safe emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritually in order to say ‘yes’ to visiting other friends and fitting more into my already packed schedule. Again and again I’m reminded I need to take care of myself before I can take care of others. I feel like I always need to be reminded of this. Having Nathan around helps with that. He reminds me to chill out when I get frustrated about something and to look at the bigger picture. I suppose this year, I will (hopefully) be able to take a good look at myself, my life and where I'm at. I am hoping to discover or re-discover my gifts and figure out how I can use those to glorify God as well as honor my parents and still be able to take care of myself or have 'good self care.' I've always been an extroverted person and I love people, so a big part of 'self care' for me includes building and maintaining relationships. We shall see how this plays out over the course of the year!

Please pray that I'll get better and be able to be fully present in what is going on around me and trust in Him.

- run for life

No comments:

Post a Comment