Buzz, buzz... my roommate's alarm was going off. I squinted at my watch through the darkness, it wasn't 8AM yet. I rolled over and clutched my stomach, it was still cramping, and sharp pains were shooting through it... I think from being sick. I wonder when or if I'll ever find out what's ailing me. I lay there in my bed with white sheets and a scratchy blanket staring at the whiteness of the ceiling. I didn't know how much time had passed before there was a knock at the door; my roommate's friend was coming to get her so they could work on what they were going to say at the church they were going to. It was now 8:30, so I got up, changed and poured some Cheerios out of the Kashi Heart to Heart bottle into my bowl, half hoping there would be some actual Kashi Heart to Heart cereal in it) along with some soy milk and a banana. Jacob, Alison and I had planned a little of what we would talk about at the church we were going to last night, I joined them at the breakfast table.
Nine o'clock rolled around and we moved to the lobby of Stony Point Center and met with Dr. Lori, the pastor of New Hempstead Presbyterian Church. We all hopped in the car and set off toward our destination. We had some time to chill out before the service. It seemed like no time had passed before the organ began and the service had started. We were in fact the message for the day. Jacob talked about passion and told his story of how he became a YAV, Alison shared about how much God loves us and that is conquers all, regardless of what tragedy may strike. I talked about being a witness and a missionary where you are and how necessary that was. I always wanted to go international, to go to the ends of the earth and reach the remote places most of my family and friends hadn't even heard of. It was nice to hear the other's stories because I hadn't heard them yet. I know we'll get to know each other over the year we're together, but we hadn't really gotten to know each other yet.
We were greeted so warmly by all of the members who were so joyful. They were a diverse congregation, but all smiling and glad to see us. It was reassuring that this is indeed what God wants me to do for the year. I had been having second thoughts after I was so certain back when I heard about Arizona and thought about national sites as an option. I knew God was calling me to the desert, I just needed to go and do it, it's difficult for me to wait once I determine God is calling me to do something. I generally just leap if I want to go cliff jumping, skydiving or some other extreme form of entertainment. I'm always the one who jumps off the bridge first to "test" it to make sure it's safe for everyone else. I guess you could say I'm a little bit of a trail blazer. Hopefully this carries over into other aspects of my life, including sharing the Gospel to those who I have been called to live among.
We were commissioned by a church that had never met us until that morning. They didn't know us from a random person on the street, but they were there for us because they knew we were a part of their family, their church family, the body of Christ. It was touching.
Tomorrow we'll depart Stony Point and go out to our respective destinations for the year. I am praying. I am thankful for all of the prayers and support we've gotten from those back home, here, and around the world. From people who don't even know us, those who love God and trust that God has called us to be a part of His work down in Arizona. I'm excited. I'm also exhausted from being sick and trying to stay awake for so many sessions and discussions... so now it's time to nap!
- run for life
Sunday, August 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment